Facing Ghosts

Chapter 46

Family Friendly

As if answering Sam’s question, the muffled sound of Justin Timberlake’s ‘Rock Your Body’ was drifting out of the auditorium as the trigenerational family group gathered in a shadowed area to the side of the auditorium entrance. Janis had gone to find Al, who she was reliably informed would be waiting somewhere near the busy entrance, where all the teen attendees were arriving and snapping photos with one another.

Sammy Jo watched her daughter rocking on her heels—she seemed positively ecstatic to be doing this ‘mission.’

Addison tended to be like that. She threw her all into everything that drew her interest. Sammy Jo had never put any expectations on her as she grew up, but that didn’t stop Addie from excelling at all kinds of physical activities.

And frankly, she’d been relieved that she hadn’t been a math genius like her Mom. There were so many pressures foist upon you when you had a big stamp on your record proclaiming you to be a child prodigy. Everyone dumped all these high expectations on you, and sometimes you ended up with the Sisyphean task of bringing home a time traveller when no-one else could.

But Addison had her own inner drive to succeed. When she had decided to learn kickboxing, she’d been tenacious in her practice. When Sammy Jo would arrive home from work, she’d very often find her daughter in the garage, beating the snot out of a punching bag.

Now, it seemed, she had a brand new passion. And it was the family business, as it were.

Sammy Jo wasn’t entirely sure how to feel about that, but she could see the spark in Addison’s eye, and knew that she was going to be headstrong and determined when it came to helping this ‘Ben.’

“Okay, I’ll go around back and watch the door.”

Sammy Jo winced. “The back? That’s the furthest from all the people. It might be dangerous.”

“Hello!” Addison retorted, gesturing to her clothes. “That’s why I wore black. So I could blend into the shadows. It’s darkest at the back, ergo, I should go there where I’m least likely to be seen.”

Sammy Jo looked to Sam for help.

“Uh, well, your Mom’s right that it could be dangerous,” he said. “But if you are seen sneaking around, that’ll raise some suspicion, considering what you’re wearing. You kind of look like you’re about to go on a crime spree. No offence.”

“None taken.” Addison folded her arms. “Fine, we’ll split the difference. I’ll take one of the side entrances.” She gestured off to a dark bush they were standing close to. “I can hide over there.” She scurried to it, shining a flashlight over the leaves, before stepping partially into the bush, turning off her light and disappearing into the blackness.

“Can you see me?” she called out.

“Nope,” Sam called back. “It’s perfect.”

“I’ll get comfy, then!”

Sammy Jo shrugged in defeat. “I suppose she’s well-hidden. As long as she stays that way, I guess there’s nothing to worry about.”

Sam nodded, eyeing the entrance, where a limo had just pulled up, spilling a group of immaculately-dressed students from its side. “Do you two know what we’re up against here, Sammy Jo?” he asked quietly.

“I’ve barely been told anything.”

Sammy Jo turned to look at what Sam was looking at. Weaving his way through the crowds of teens and parents was Al, with Janis walking ahead, flickering in and out of bodies.

“Well, we don’t exactly know the story, but at some point tonight Janis’s date, Kat, is going to end up in the river and drown.”

“That’s right,” Janis said as she reached the group. “It was ruled an accident, but I’m not so sure about that. So keep your eyes peeled.”

Sammy Jo shifted on her feet. “Foul play, you think?”

“Never know,” Sam said gravely. “Which is why it’s essential we know where she is at all times, and keep an eye out for anyone suspicious wandering around.”

“Except for the girl in all black hiding in the bushes,” Sammy Jo said with a roll of her eyes.

“What girl in the bushes?” Al asked, having only caught the last comment as he approached.

“Addison.”

“Oh. Okay, so who’s taking what door?”

Sam raised a hand. “Since I’m the only one on the guest list, I’ll take the front doors. I’ll be able to go and check in with the principal for my donation, too.”

“You got it,” Al said. “And Addison’s hiding where exactly?”

Sam gestured to the bush where Addison hid. “Just here. She’s watching this side’s exit. Which leaves the back and the other side. Now the back is the most remote exit…”

“I’ll take it,” Al said. “I have a couple cigars to burn—I won’t bother anybody back there.”

“And that leaves the other side for me,” Sammy Jo said, turning to Janis. “I’m trusting you not to let my daughter get into trouble.”

Janis met her eye with a solemn look. “Nobody is going to die tonight.” She held up her handlink. “Everyone, in position. I’m going inside.”

She tapped a button and blinked away.

Al waved a hand, starting for the back of the building. “Adios, folks. I’ll see you all when the coast is clear, huh?”

“Stay vigilant, buddy,” Sam said with a pat on the shoulder as he passed.

“Have I ever let you down?” Al asked. “Actually, don’t think too hard about that,” he added quickly, chuckling as he headed away.

“Addison, it’s showtime,” Sammy Jo called to the shadowed bush. A rustling sound came from her position, followed by a hand catching the light and giving a thumbs-up gesture.

Sammy Jo and Sam headed for the entrance, where they stopped a moment, looking at one another.

“You were about to leap when I came out of the Accelerator,” Sam said quietly.

Sammy Jo looked away, her cheeks burning with embarrassment. “You noticed that, huh?”

“There’s a lot I probably should have done differently when I was leaping,” Sam confessed, “but you—you being here… I wouldn’t ever give that up. You and Addison. Promise me you won’t ever leave her on her own, like… I did to you.”

“I promise.” Although she had the urge not to, Sammy Jo met her father’s eyes. “I’ll be there for her no matter what.”

Sam favoured her with a smile, before hugging her.

“Thank you.” Pulling away, he nodded his head towards the corner of the auditorium. “You’d better get in position. If you get in any trouble, yell as loud as you can and I’ll come running.”

“Oh, trust me. I will be screaming like a banshee. I don’t have any fancy fighting skills like everyone else.”

Sam looked contemplative for a moment, before reaching into his jacket and pulling out a small, colourful device.

“A wristlink?” Sammy Jo said with surprise. “We’re not supposed to go this far away from the complex with one of these…”

“Well it’s a good thing I made the rules,” Sam said, grinning. “Take it. In case of emergency.”

Sammy Jo strapped it to her wrist. “Thanks, Dad.” She took a step towards the corner, before pausing. “What a strange family activity this is, huh?”

“Well, we’re a pretty strange family.”

“Ain’t that the truth?”

Sammy Jo chuckled as she passed through the crowds, heading to the dark side of the building. The din faded as she found a place between a fence and a tree to watch the door. It was going to be a long night.

*        *        *

This is going to be a long night, thought Ben, as he awkwardly danced face-to-face with Kat while ‘In Da Club’ played.

The room filled with the prom guests singing along with the hip hop song. “Go shawty, it’s your birthday, we gon’ party like it’s your birthday…”

Even Kat was mouthing along to the lyrics. She noticed his unease, and put her hands on her hips.

“What’s the matter?” she asked, her voice verging on shouting to carry over the general noise around them.

“What makes you think something’s the matter?” he replied, cupping a hand over her ear.

Kat shot him a look. “Because you look like you’d rather be anywhere else. We fought hard to be here! You should be happy!”

“I am happy! You know me. I look moody even when I’m perfectly fine.” Well, that was what he remembered of Janis anyway.

Kat looked unconvinced. “Okay, well, it’s just you’ve been… I dunno, a little cold. Since yesterday.”

“I don’t know what you mean,” Ben said with a nervous laugh.

Kat shook her head, sighing. “I’ve gotta go pee.”

Ben nodded. “I’ll come with.”

Kat shrugged, and turned, allowing Ben to follow her to the much less loud bathroom. As they headed there, Ben noticed Janis appear in his periphery, and she proceeded to tag along.

Inside, Kat turned to Ben, giving him a sly grin. “I have a surprise,” she said, and headed to the stall nearest the far wall. Once inside, she leaned out, beckoning a finger. “Come on—there’s room for two.”

Ben’s eyes widened, and he looked to Janis, who looked equally concerned.

“Ben, I don’t exactly know what she wants, but proceed with caution. If she goes to lock the door, I say get outta there.”

Ben slowly walked to the stall, leaning into it, but not getting all the way in. “What’s the, um, surprise?”

Kat pulled his arm, partially closing the door. “When I was in here a couple of days ago, I smuggled something in.” She crouched, fiddling with a vent on the wall.

“So you didn’t wanna make out,” Ben said, letting out a held breath.

Kat looked up at him, amused. “You don’t have to sound so happy about that, jeez. Man, you’re totally uptight tonight—but this ought to take the edge off.”

She pulled the vent cover off, and slid out a metal flask.

“They searched us for booze at the entrance, but they didn’t know I prepared in advance!” She unscrewed the cap, took a swig, then offered it to Ben. “We gon’ sip Bacardi like it’s your birthday,” she sang.

Ben exchanged a look of consternation with Janis. “Oh boy…”

Current Chapter: 46