Facing Ghosts

Chapter 26

Taco Night

As Ben entered the dining room, he caught sight of Sam, standing closely beside his wife as they held hands.

That could’ve been me, he thought with envy. But he was truly happy for Sam, and he couldn’t help but light up at the sight. At least one of them was back where they belonged.

Sam caught his eye, and returned the delight. “Janis!”

He moved around the table and scooped Ben up into a tight hug. Ben returned the affection with gusto.

“It’s good to see you home,” he murmured.

The real Janis, in holographic form, was hanging back near the doorway, observing the scene closely. Addison passed through her form on her way into the room, causing her projection to glitch.

“These were some good tacos, if I remember correctly,” she mused, casting an eye at the spread on the table. “I’m getting hungry just looking at it.”

“Well, everyone, let’s dig in!” Al said, seating himself and rubbing his hands.

Everyone took this cue to move to a seat at the table and pull out their chair.

“Alright, hold your horses,” Donna said. “I think Sam should get first choice.”

Sam took his own seat, looking sheepish. “Oh, don’t give me any special treatment.” He peered around at the full table, turning sombre. “Everyone… thank you for believing in my dream, and for keeping alive the hope that I’d come home some day. And I’m sorry for causing you all such pain these past eight years. I look forward to spending the rest of my life making it up to you all.”

Ben realised those words were very similar to what he’d once said to Sam Beiderman’s wife on the phone, while making eye contact with Addison.

He picked up the glass of water that sat by his plate, and held it up. “I’ll raise a glass to that,” he said, smiling warmly. Al grinned and followed the toast, with Donna close behind.

Beside Ben, Addison took hold of her glass and tipped it slightly. Ben clinked his against hers, and took a drink.

“Okay. Eat up, kids,” Al said as he placed down his glass and reached for the tortillas.

This was the cue that caused everyone to grab at the food, and they filled their plates liberally. It had been a while since Ben had been able to eat a good taco, and he was famished.

As they ate, Sam spoke up. “So Al—where’s Beth tonight? I was hoping she’d be eating with us.”

“She’s working tonight, I’m sorry to say,” replied Al through a mouthful of food. “Nurse hours are nearly as bad as hologram hours, but she’ll be home by ten. I’ll make sure to bring her to see you tomorrow.”

This satisfied Sam, who nodded as he took a mouthful of soft taco.

“Hologram hours?” Addison asked. “What does that mean?”

From the doorway, Ben heard Janis chuckle.

“Oh, it’s part of the time travel,” Ben contributed.

“Right,” Al agreed. “When Sam was travelling through time, I was in a holographic projection of his surroundings, speaking with him from the future.”

“To me, he was kind of like a ghost,” Sam added. “I could see and hear him but not touch him, and nobody else knew he was there.”

“Unfortunately we couldn’t control what time of day it was, so I just had to keep to whatever schedule Sam had in his time. I tell ya, it wasn’t easy.”

“Remember the time I caught you sleeping in the Imaging Chamber?” Sam said, grinning at Al. “When I was in training for that boxing match.”

Ben chuckled—he couldn’t imagine Addison, or any of his colleagues, being that unprofessional. It really was a different time. Then again, when he’d been training for a boxing match, Addison had passed out from exhaustion in the Imaging Chamber. So, he supposed, it wasn’t so different.

“Yeah, what was the story I told you to explain that away?”

“Something about your neighbour making a lot of noise during the night.”

“Oh, yeah. Think I might’ve pulled that one out of you-know-where.”

“Yeah, I know.” Sam smirked, taking a bite of his taco, leaving Al to shrug dramatically at the rest of the table.

“What can I say? The guy knows me too well.”

Ben had never seen the dynamic between these two before, and it made him happy to see how at ease they were with one another. No wonder they’d made such a good team.

“You guys are really sticking to the bit, huh?” Addison said casually. “Well, I’m still not convinced this isn’t a great big joke on me.” She glanced around the room, looking up to the ceiling. “Where’s the camera?”

This caused an uncomfortable silence to descend over the table.

“Ben, you’re up,” Janis prompted. “Break the silence; reassure her. Do what I wish I’d done at this point.”

“Look, Addison…” Ben said, placing a hand on her shoulder, “none of us are so cruel as to lie like that. Well, maybe my Dad.” He looked up at Al with a wink. “But the rest of us wouldn’t do that, especially not Sam. He’s the most sincere guy around.”

Addison’s gaze shifted to Sam, who raised his eyebrows and tilted his head in a conceding gesture.

“I don’t know how to prove it to you,” Sammy Jo piped up. “Except, I guess, we could show you the Project.”

“Grand tour?” Al chimed in.

“You’ll have to sign a bunch of non-disclosures,” Sam added, “but we could do that. How’s tomorrow sound?”

Addison narrowed her eyes. “Sure. As long as you don’t have Ashton Kutcher jump out at me when I get there.”

“Who?” Sam asked, genuinely baffled.

“Can I come too?” Ben jumped in. He wasn’t going to miss the opportunity to see the old Project Quantum Leap before it got shut down.

“Ben, you have prom tomorrow!” Janis said harshly. “That’s what you’re here for!”

“As long as I can be back in time for prom,” Ben added.

Sam exchanged a glance with Al, then nodded. “Sure. I guess it’s settled then. We’ll all go. I’m sure Ziggy will be pleased to meet the both of you.”

“I hope you know what you’re doing,” Janis warned. “It’s gonna be tight.”

At this, Ben sensed a quick movement from Sam. He flicked his gaze up to him and noticed his head was pointed in Janis’s direction, his expression slightly puzzled.

Apparently, he still had a sixth sense for holograms; even now.

Janis was looking back at him with a deer-in-headlights expression. “Uh… I’m gonna make myself scarce,” she whispered, before quickly tapping the handlink and disappearing.

Sam’s expression cleared a moment later, and he resumed eating his meal.

Al, on the other hand, set down his food and met the eye of Addison’s mother.

“How you holding up, Sammy Jo?” he asked cautiously.

Sammy Jo, whose mouth was full, swallowed quickly. “Better than earlier,” she said. “But… it is a lot to come to terms with.”

“You’re not gonna try and do something you’ll regret later, though, are you? Beth and I could take you in for the night, keep you company.”

Sammy Jo looked down. “You don’t have to worry about that, Admi—um, Al. I’m okay.”

“You and the munchkin can stay if you want. Have a slumber party.”

At this, Ben perked up. It might have been a bad idea, but the desire to spend time with Addison was, perhaps, clouding his judgement. And without Janis there to give him direction, he just went with his gut.

“I’d be up for that,” he said as nonchalantly as he could, looking towards Addison. “I mean, only if you want to. You seem pretty… uh, you know. Cool. Seems like you could use someone to ease you into all this crazy stuff.”

Addison chewed her food slowly, and swallowed. “Well…”

“We have a pool,” Al said, shrugging.

Addison raised an eyebrow. “Would I have to sleep on the floor?”

“We have two guest rooms,” Al said. “Kinda what happens when three out of four daughters fly the coop.”

Addison mulled it over another moment, looking at her mother, who was looking expectantly back.

“I’ll go if you go, Mom,” she said. “He invited you first.”

Sammy Jo took a sip of water. “Well, okay. It might be good for you to get to know Janis. Seems we’re stuck with this extended family.” She looked around the table. “I never expected this, but it’s… nice.”

Sam reached a hand out, grasping hers. “It is, isn’t it?”

It really is, thought Ben, eyes wandering the room, before resting on Addison. I wish I could tell you about our future together. Or at least who I am.

But that would be a bad idea. She was already plenty freaked out by all of this, he realised.

And so, he decided that he would simply be the best Janis he could be to her.

Current Chapter: 26