Quinntum Leap Title

Part 5: Suspicions

5.12  ·  That Was A Bust

John and Maggie were in the hospital waiting room when a stocky woman in her sixties burst through the doors, beside herself with terror.

“Where’s my child?” she demanded, her brown curls falling wildly against her broad, pale face. She was wearing a pink blazer, with a flower at the breast, and delicate white gloves that John thought were straight out of the twenties.

John stepped toward her. “You must be Missus Grady,” he said, offering her his hand. “Your daughter’s in surgery now. She’s going to be okay.”

Vanessa looked down at his hand, then back up at him. “Who are you?”

“I’m Doctor Beckett,” he said. “I was at your home when… you know. I gave your daughter first aid while the ambulance was en route. I may not be dressed in scrubs, but I assure you I’m a trained professional. The shrapnel didn’t puncture any vital organs, and she’s in capable hands now.”

Vanessa shook his hand cautiously. “What were you doing at my house?”

“We were paying your husband a visit,” said Maggie. “But we didn’t get so far as to actually talk to him before the… tragedy.”

Vanessa’s face fell.

“It was just a matter of time before he made an enemy out of the wrong oligarch,” she said with a deep sigh. John’s eyes popped open.

How much does she know?

He glanced at the equally curious Maggie, giving her the faintest shake of his head.

This isn’t the time.

He’d speak with Tom and Magic, and they could follow up on this lead. For now, he simply needed to help this grieving woman to at least understand that her daughter was going to pull through.

That, and throw suspicion off them, since having been present during the assassination was inherently questionable.

He hoped Sammy Jo, who’d stayed behind to do a search for the EMP, had been able to slip out before the police arrived to secure the house as a crime scene.

He supposed that they’d all have to give statements, too. The mere thought filled him with exhaustion.

As Vanessa approached a nurse, requesting more information, John took Maggie aside.

“Why don’t you go back to the motel? I’m gonna stay around here a bit longer, make sure they’re okay.”

Maggie glanced at the woman. “Why bother? If she knew the kind of stuff Grady was doing, what makes you think she deserves your sympathy?”

She has a point. But…

“Besides the fact that a few strange people showing up right as he gets a bomb to the face seems pretty suspicious, I think that being kind to her can only make her more likely to share what she knows, right?”

Really, John wanted to do this because he felt bad, but he figured a pragmatic explanation would go over better with Maggie. And he thought right – she nodded, and pulled out a cell phone.

“I’ll call a cab.”

*          *          *

When Maggie got back to the motel, Sammy Jo’s car was already there in the parking lot. She hurried to the room, and greeted the scientist she’d come to think of as a friend.

“Find anything?” she asked, falling back onto her bed. Sammy Jo, who was brushing her long, deep brown hair, shook her head.

“’Fraid not,” she said, with a frown. “I didn’t have much time to snoop before the cops showed up and I was left to give a statement. Nearly got arrested before I talked my way out of it.”

She smirked. “I expect they’ll be showing up here soon enough to squeeze you and John for statements, too.”

Maggie gave a displeased grunt. “Last thing we need is for former Sheriff Maggie Beckett to show up in the police records again.”

Sammy Jo put her brush on the bedside table, turning. “I’m sure the feds will make it go away soon enough. Just like last time.”

A knock interrupted their conversation.

“Ugh, here they are already,” Maggie said, rolling her eyes.

Sammy Jo stood, heading to the door. “I don’t think so.” She opened it to reveal Tom. Maggie found herself unsure whether his presence was any better, but she stood to greet him.

“Captain,” she said in acknowledgement, crossing her arms.

He responded with a nod in her direction, as he entered the room.

“I saw on the news that there was an explosion. What happened?!”

Maggie flopped back down onto the bed. “Someone wanted Grady out of the way. Sent him a package.”

“A bomb?”

“Yeah. Killed him instantly.” Maggie leaned back against the wall at the head of the bed, breathing out heavily. “Happened right as we were at the door. John’s still at the hospital helping the Senator’s daughter, who was injured in the blast.”

“Guess he won’t be stealing any more data,” Sammy Jo said, cringing. “But there’s still a lot of digging we need to do. He could have sold all those secrets to anybody, couldn’t he?”

Tom tapped a finger to his lips, and began to pace. “We’ve traced a limited number of his contacts, but you’re not wrong.”

“You should talk to his wife,” said Maggie. “She gave the impression she might know some things about his connections.”

Tom met her eye. “Thank you, Maggie.”

He was looking at her with the kind of respect she never felt from her own father. Despite herself, she felt pride welling within, and suppressed the urge to smile.

Don’t be an idiot, he’s not even your Dad.

She straightened. “You said you were going to come to New Mexico?”

Tom gave a nod.

“Yes, I suspect we’ll have business there shortly.” His expression softened. “Besides, I really want to see Sam. The… real one.”

“They’re both real,” Maggie admonished. “Just… John’s brother died in the war, because he never went back in time and–”

“–Saved his life,” Tom finished, a far off look in his eyes. “Yeah. Me and Sam have a lot to talk about. And I suspect Magic will, too.”

Maggie recalled John’s words to her, and reluctantly forced out: “Well, you’re… welcome to visit me while you’re in the area.”

She grabbed a notepad from the night stand and wrote her cell phone number, before handing it to the surprised Navy Captain. His eyes narrowed.

“Why would you want to spend time with me? You seem just as defiant as my Maggie, and the two of us aren’t even…”

Maggie bit her lip. “Look, your daughter isn’t available, but maybe there are some things you can work out with me instead. For example, I can tell you all about the events that led to her… uh, ‘career.’”

She wasn’t sure whether or not she should include the parts where Sherri had beaten Colin in the head, imprisoned Sam, and impersonated her. She would play it by ear.

Maggie had wanted to hate Sherri for doing that, but the experience being merged with her made it clear that had Maggie’s life gone in that direction, she most likely would have felt the same desperation, and may have resorted to the same things.

Maggie gestured towards the door. “Listen, I’ll send John over when he gets back. If he has any more to add, anyway.”

Tom nodded. “I get the hint. Good night, ladies.”

As he left, Maggie turned back to Sammy Jo, who had gone quiet as she listened to the conversation between the Becketts. The scientist looked up at her with an awkward expression.

“Must be so strange to see your Dad like this, huh?”

Maggie gave a resigned nod. “My Dad died a long time ago. Well before my Earth was destroyed. So it’s pretty surreal.”

Sammy Jo thought for a moment, before adding, “I never knew my Dad. Skipped out on my Mom when she was pregnant with me.”

“Sorry to hear that.”

She shrugged. “Can’t miss a guy I never met.”

“Guess not.”

Current Chapter: 5.12