Six Feet Down Under

Quantum Leap (2022) Fan Script

by Ashe P. Kirk

Teaser

Fade In

Ext. Motorway Roadside - Day

Ben finds himself standing on the side of a busy freeway, with one arm against a gum tree.

He's wearing sweaty working class clothes, a short-sleeved flannel shirt and well-worn jeans, topped with an Akubra hat. It's clear from his sweat and the beating-down sun that the weather is hot.

We hear a trickle, indicating that Ben is in the middle of peeing into a bush.

He looks down in confusion, then glances towards the road, where cars are driving on the left side. The cars are all early to mid nineties models or older, as the year is 1994.

Ben

(mumbling)

Left lane...? Where am I?

As his gaze moves, he jumps as he spots a kangaroo grazing by the road. Yes: Ben is in Australia.

Ben

Okay, that narrows things down a little.

A female voice calls out, prompting Ben to spin around, as he awkwardly zips his fly.

Female Voice

Are you finished yet?

This is Marcy, a 20-year-old American backpacker leaning out the passenger window of a refrigerated semitrailer parked on the side of the freeway.

Ben

(shouting back)

Uh, yeah! Just a sec...

Ben glances around, and sees a billboard advertising the film "Muriel's Wedding" before heading to the truck, finding keys in his pocket.

Int. Semi-trailer - Continuous

As Ben climbs into the seat, he grumbles:

Ben

(glancing at gearbox)

Not again...

Marcy

What?

Ben

(improvising)

Uh, that... kangaroo. Ran one over a few days ago. I hope I don't do it again.

Marcy looks out the window, spotting the kangaroo, and is visibly excited.

Marcy

Oh my god! I've never seen a real kangaroo!

She opens her door and jumps out, pulling a disposable camera from her pocket, the kind that has a roll of film already built in.

Marcy

Sorry, I need a photo.

As she runs off to snap a photograph, Ben checks his reflection -- it's a sweaty white man in his forties with stubble. The kind of bloke that you'd expect to find drinking all day at a rural pub.

Ben

Crikey.

He finds a wallet in his back pocket, and flips it open, revealing a New South Wales Driver's license.

The name on the licence: Darren Blake Harvey. We don't get a good glimpse of the street address, but we see that it's in Campbelltown.

Ben

(to self)

Hello, Darren Harvey.

He quickly puts the wallet away as Marcy climbs back into the truck.

Marcy

(deflated)

Hopped away. Probably got a blurry picture of its tail sticking out from behind a tree at best.

Ben

(turning the ignition)

That's too bad.

As the engine starts, the stereo comes on, and our first 1994 Australian needle drop begins with an iconic favourite of the year:

"Tomorrow" -- Silverchair

Ben grapples with the stick shift, pulling bumpily onto the road.

Marcy

So, how much further to Sydney?

Ben

(grimacing)

Excellent question.

Ext. Motorway - Continuous

As the truck drives into the distance, the strains of the song fade away as we --

Cut to:

"Quantum Leap" Title Card

End of Teaser

Act One

Int. Semi-trailer - Day

The truck continues its journey, as we hear a new song through the stereo playing under the dialogue:

"Wildflowers" -- Things of Stone and Wood

Ben studies the woman in the passenger seat, between glances back to the road, noting her large, bulky rucksack. Meanwhile, Marcy is lining up a selfie with her camera, with middling success.

Ben

So... remind me again where I'm taking you?

Marcy

(looking at him funny)

Chatswood Station. Like I said.

Ben bites his lip, having no clue where he is or where this station might be.

Suddenly, Addison phases in behind Ben. She stands at the back of the cab, just behind Ben's seat, her holographic legs dipping below the floor so her head is only a little above Ben's. She's leaning over him.

Addison

G'day!

Ben jumps as he hears her voice, and gives her a smile and nod -- clearly relieved she's made her entrance.

Addison

(badly attempting an Australian accent)

Looks like yaw down undah, mate!

Ben glances back at her with an expression that says "what the hell was that?"

Addison

(cheeky)

You gave me that same look the last time I tried that accent. We vacationed here a couple of years ago. Beautiful country.

Ben

I don't remember...

Marcy

Don't remember what? Where the station is?

Ben

I don't remember... what I did with my... map.

Marcy

I thought you said you drive this road all the time?

Ben

(awkward)

I sure do. Don't worry, I'll get you where you need to go.

He looks back at Addison, who is looking at her handlink with some concern.

Addison

I'm not sure taking her to the station is a good idea, Ben. When you drop her off, that's the last time anyone sees her alive.

Ben gives her an alarmed look.

Addison

(from handlink)

Marcy Little -- Californian backpacker on her first solo trip abroad. Her body was found in a shallow grave in Budderoo National Park in April 1995 after being missing five months -- today is November seventeenth, '94.

Ben looks ahead at the road with silent concern, casting a fleeting eye at Marcy, who stares out the open passenger window, hair flying in the wind.

Addison

Ben, the killer was never found. So I would suggest keeping eyes on her until Ziggy says she's in the clear.

Ben takes a deep breath as he processes this information.

Ben

(to Marcy)

Uh, so what are you going to...

(testing new word)

'Chatswood'... for?

Marcy

It's just a major station. I'll head towards the city centre from there, find a hostel.

Ben

Listen, why don't you stay tonight at my place?

(wondering)

I'm sure I have... a couch.

Addison cringes, knowing how creepy Ben just sounded, looking as he does currently.

Addison

Swing and a miss...

Marcy reacts in the expected way, immediately becoming uncomfortable.

Marcy

Like, no offence or anything, but for all I know you could be a serial killer. No thanks.

Addison

(eyes popping)

Of all things for someone to say the day they're due to be murdered.

Ben

Uh, yeah, that came out kinda creepy, didn't it? At least let me take you to the city centre.

Addison looks down at the handlink, fiddling with it.

Addison

This could work.

Marcy

Sure, thanks.

(beat)

What's your name, anyway?

Ben & Addison

(in unison)

Darren--

Addison

--Harvey... Ah, figured that one out already.

(checks handlink)

Friends call you... 'Dazza.' That's... incredibly Australian.

Marcy

I'm Marcy.

Ben

Nice to meet you. Properly, I mean. How long are you in the country?

Marcy

Two more weeks. I've actually been here a month already; seen most of the sights. Ready for a little big city fun before I have to head home.

Ben

Fair enough. Well, just relax. I'll get you there.

Addison

Listen, I'm gonna go get some research sorted. Just keep heading this way. The signage is pretty straightforward. Think of it like a road trip.

Ben acknowledges this with a subtle gesture, as Addison disappears.

Int. Project Quantum Leap: Main Floor - Day

Ian is absorbed in their computer screen -- showing some police reports about Marcy's case, and news articles about disappearances -- as Addison approaches from behind. She taps them on the shoulder, making them jump.

Ian

Whoa, now I know why Ben wanted a bell on you.

Addison

Am I really that sneaky, or am I just surrounded by deep concentrators who lose track of everything going on around them?

Ian

A little Column A, a little Column B. So, what brings you to me?

Addison

Well, first off I was wondering what Ben's doing in Australia. We've got no records of any previous leap happening there before.

Ian

What, you don't think other countries have problems too?

(thinking)

You know, Sam Beckett once leaped into Egypt.

Addison

That's true.

(beat)

So what do we know about this killer? Anything?

Ian

Frustratingly little. They were never caught, and we don't even know if this was their only kill. However-- (POINTS TO SCREEN) --Marcy certainly wasn't the only solo traveller around Sydney to turn up dead in this time period.

Addison

So you're saying we might be dealing with...

Ian

A serial killer? Yeah, could well be.

Addison

Okay.

(beat)

Bring up everything you can about these cases, see if you can connect them in any way... we need all the info we can get, because I get the feeling Ben isn't here just to drive a girl to town.

Ian turns back to the computer screen.

Ian

You got it.

(turning mischievous)

Twenty bucks says you can't get Ben to throw a shrimp on the barbie some time this leap.

Addison

(glaring)

You know they don't even call them shrimp. It's "prawns."

(grinning against her better judgement)

But... you're on.

Ext. Sydney Harbour Bridge - Dusk

The semi-trailer is most of the way across the iconic bridge, heading southbound. Now playing on the stereo:

"Confide In Me" -- Kylie Minogue

Int. Semi-trailer - Continuous

Marcy has her camera out, and is snapping the occasional photo of the harbour.

Addison materialises behind Ben, just as before.

Addison

You can drop her off at the next place you can pull over. Ziggy's telling me she should be in the clear now.

(less brightly)

She should be, but--

Ben flicks her a look.

Addison

(pointing)

Take a left here -- a parking spot just opened up.

Ben turns the wheel.

Ext. Sydney Street - Continuous

The semi turns to the wrong side of the road, before swerving to avoid an oncoming car.

Int. Semi-trailer - Continuous

Marcy

Dude, what the hell?

Ben

(anxious)

Sorry.

Addison

(more amused than shaken)

Smooth move. Driver's side on the right, vehicle on the left. Try not to die, yeah?

Ben frowns -- that's easy for her to say.

Ext. Sydney Street - Continuous

The truck pulls to the side of the busy road, and the engine shuts off, along with the music.

Marcy and Ben climb out of their respective sides of the truck, and meet up on the footpath, while Addison blinks to them.

Marcy

(hoisting on her rucksack)

Thanks so much for the ride, Darren.

Ben

No problem!

(beat)

Listen, let me give you my number. If you need another ride or something...

Marcy

Thanks, that's sweet.

Ben opens the truck door and rummages in the glove box. Within the glove compartment we see a book of delivery records.

After a moment, he returns to Marcy, having acquired a scrap of paper and a pen. He places the paper on the side of the truck and poises the pen over it.

Ben

(looking at Addison)

And my number is...

Addison

Uh--

(looks at handlink)

--Oh! Your number is 624-2088.

Ben scribbles this number down, and passes the paper to Marcy.

Marcy

(cheerful)

Thanks. See you!

Ben

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

As she walks away, he sighs with relief, and returns to the driver's side of the truck.

Int. Semi-trailer - Continuous

Ben climbs into the seat, where Addison is already waiting in the passenger side.

Ben

So, that was easy. Does this mean I can leap now?

Addison

Oh, I wish it were that simple.

(gravely)

According to Ziggy, in saving her, you've only shifted who the victim is. Tomorrow, another traveller fitting the same profile goes missing, and is found dead in Marcy's place.

Cut to Black

End of Act One

Act Two

Int. Semi-trailer - Night

The stereo is off, and Ben drives in silence through the Sydney streets, headlights in his eyes.

He's stressed out -- it's bad enough that he's unfamiliar with the area, and he's driving stick, and he's driving on the opposite side of the road, but he's now grappling with the knowledge he seems to have put someone new in danger.

Ben

(trying to change lanes)

So what, I have to catch some serial killer now?

Ben makes a frustrated gesture to another driver. Addison notices his edginess.

Addison

(soothing)

Hey, if you need to pull over and take a breather, just do it.

Ben

Addison, I just need to get back to whatever this guy's house is. I doubt I'll be able to think until I do.

Addison

Alright, but when you get home, you'll have a wife and three kids to deal with.

Ben

(exasperated)

Perfect.

(beat)

Then we'd better do all our talking now.

The truck jolts as Ben brakes suddenly. He grunts.

Ben

(at another driver)

Are you blind? I was right next to you!

Addison hides her amusement.

Addison

We're trying to develop a profile of the killer, but the only solid data point we have now is the next victim.

Ben

So -- what? -- I show up when and where they're last seen and keep them safe from there? Like I did this time?

(beat)

But that'll just put a third person in danger, won't it?

Addison

Yeah, it's not as simple as keeping the victim safe. We need to catch the killer in the act so we can identify who it is.

Ben

Why can't it ever be simple?

Addison

(trying to be encouraging)

I don't know, but if you pull this off, you could save upwards of twelve people -- if the data is to be believed.

Ben takes a moment to absorb this.

Ben

Okay. So, wife and three kids, huh?

Cut to:

Int. Harvey Home: Entry Hall - Night

Darren's home is a single-storey fibro affair: think the house from "The Castle" if the family lived in southwest Sydney. There's probably asbestos in this house, and the exterior paint might have lead in it.

As Ben enters the house, a small, adorable 9-year-old girl -- Jessica -- runs toward him, arms outstretched. She's clearly excited to see her father.

Jessica

Daddy!

She throws her arms around him as Addison phases through the wall beside Ben, watching.

Addison

That's Jessica, the middle child. Eight years old -- wait, she turns nine tomorrow. Birthday girl.

Ben

(giving a lukewarm return to her hug)

Hey... sweetie...

Addison

Sure hope Darren's got her a present, huh?

The hug finally ends, and Ben continues into the house with the child in tow.

Int. Harvey Home: Lounge Room - Continuous

The lounge room is lit up with a boxy CRT television currently playing "Home and Away" in the background. Tobacco smoke gives the room a certain haze.

On a well-used sofa sits a 40-year-old woman smoking a cigarette -- this is Dot, Darren's wife. She speaks with a broad Australian accent.

Next to her sits a 17-year-old boy with a mullet hair cut -- this is Kyle. He's also SMOKING.

On an armchair in the corner sits another man in his forties sipping a VB Stubby (beer). This is Jonno -- he is not related to the rest of the family.

Jessica runs to the sofa, and sits on Dot's lap as Ben and Addison wander into the room.

Dot

Evening, luv. Bit late. Your dinner's cold.

Addison

(pointing)

That's your wife, Dot. The teenager is Kyle, and the guy over there... I'm working on that one.

As Addison taps at her handlink, Ben waves the smoke from his face, doing his best not to cough.

Ben

Uh yeah, sorry. Traffic was a nightmare. And I picked up a hitch-hiker.

Jonno

(smirking)

A hitcher? Was she hot?

Ben

(raising an eyebrow)

I didn't say it was a girl.

Jonno

Come off it, we all know you only pick up chicks. So was she a babe, or a moll?

Ben

(to self, barely audible)

'Moll'...?

Dot

Shut up Jonno. Nobody wants to know!

(gesturing to Jessica)

'Specially not the littlies.

Jonno

Yeah, awright. Steady on.

Jonno stands, finishing his beer. He crosses to Ben, placing a hand on his shoulder. Ben is visibly struggling to follow the slang-heavy conversation.

Jonno

Still on for tomorrow, yeah?

Ben

(guessing)

...Jessica's birthday?

Jonno gives a belly laugh, as if Ben just made a joke.

Jonno

Nah; mate's weekend!

Jonno spreads out his arms, as if this is the most obvious answer in the world.

Addison

(warning)

Ben, you have a killer to catch tomorrow.

Ben

Uh... listen. Can we postpone? I have a lot on my plate.

Jonno looks surprised, but moreso hurt, at this suggestion.

Jonno

Serious? We've been planning this for yonks! Don't leave me high and dry, Dazza!

Dot

(standing, aggravated)

I bloody told you it was Jess's birthday tomorrow, Jonno!

Dot leans over and kisses Ben on the cheek. Apparently, this was something she'd been waiting for him to say.

Dot

Cheers, hun.

(to Jonno)

No reason you can't go Sat'dee morning, is there?

Jonno looks between Dot and Ben for a moment, before giving a defeated sigh.

Jonno

Righto.

(to Ben, serious)

Give you a bell later, Daz.

Ben

Uh... okay. Mate.

Jonno gives a broad wave to the room, before heading out towards the front door.

Ben takes the armchair on which he had been seated, slumping into it with a sigh.

Dot

(appraising him)

Ah, luv. Had a bit of a rough run of things?

Ben isn't sure what she's saying.

Addison

She's asking if you had a hard day. I think.

Ben

You could say that. A few unexpected detours.

(beat)

I'm happy to finally be in a seat that's not vibrating.

Dot stamps out her cigarette in an ash tray on the coffee table, before heading for the door.

She stops in the doorway, turning back.

Dot

(warmly)

Nice work, putting your foot down with Jonno. Just for that, I'm gonna go heat up your tea for ya.

Ben

Oh... cheers, hun.

Dot acknowledges his response cheerfully, and leaves the room. Ben looks at Addison, hoping he said the correct sequence of words. She nods in approval.

Addison

That's good. Don't go too hard and fast with the slang; only repeat words you've heard others say. Let their perception of Darren do the rest.

Ben takes in this pearl of wisdom, as Kyle finally pipes up.

Kyle

So you are going to Jess's birthday dinner now?

Addison

You might not have the chance, but for now, just say you are.

Ben looks warmly at Jessica.

Ben

You only turn nine once, right? Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Jessica

(excited)

I'm gonna eat five sausage sandwiches!

Ben

(playing along)

Five? Wow! You'll be sick!

Jessica

That's all part of my master plan. If I chuck up dinner, I'll have room for dessert!

Ben

(amused)

Ah, of course. Like the Romans.

Jessica

Romans?

Ben

(vaguely recalling)

Yeah, the ancient Romans used to feast until they were sick, and then would vomit so they could fit more in.

Addison

Actually, that's a common misconception.

Ben

...Or maybe I just made that up. You decide.

Addison shares an amused glance with Ben.

Jessica

Well, I don't know what a Roman is but they sound smart.

Dot (O.S.)

Darren! Dinner!

Ben reacts to the call, standing from his seat.

Ben

Coming!

Addison

I'll be back in an hour, Ben. Enjoy your... reheated feast. Consider ...(IMITATING AUSSIE ACCENT)... prawns for tomorrow.

Ben looks at her curiously as she disappears. With her gone, he shakes his head, and heads in the direction of Dot's call.

Int. Harvey Home: Kitchen - Night

Ben is seated at a seventies era kitchen table, where in front of him sits a plate of reheated peas, broccoli, roast beef, and potatoes, all slathered with gravy.

Dot places an open stubby of VB by the plate -- clearly something Darren would normally have with his dinner. He looks at it with trepidation, before bringing it to his nose to sniff it.

Ben

(unimpressed by the smell)

Thank you.

He gives it a token sip, before placing it down -- doing his best to hide that he doesn't like the beer.

He begins to pick at his microwaved plate with a knife and fork as Dot sits across from him at the table.

Dot

Can I expect you to man the barbecue tomorrow, then?

Ben

(between mouthfuls)

Long as I get home in time.

Dot

Nah, yeah. Traffic. Just don't be giving lifts to any more Yank skanks.

Ben is puzzled by this turn of phrase.

Dot

Oh, don't give me that look, Daz. I know full well you have some delusion that one of these seppo birds'll root you if you drive 'em far enough, but you've got Buckley's chance. You're stuck with me, like it or lump it.

Ben has not followed a word of this.

Ben

(not knowing what else to say)

...Okay, then.

Dot

(triumphant)

Good on ya. Aimee's waiting for her bedtime story, when you're done there.

Ben

Aimee?

(beat)

...Righto.

Int. Project Quantum Leap: Main Floor - Day

Ian, Magic, and Jenn are crowded around Ian's computer, looking at some data related to the murders, as Addison joins them.

Addison

How's it coming along?

Jenn

To access police records in a sovereign nation, I might have had to do some technically illegal things, but other than that? It's doing okay.

Magic

(exasperated)

I told you not to bring that up in front of me. I don't want to know -- plausible deniability.

Jenn

(winking at Addison)

My bad.

Ian

(gesturing to screen)

I have everything we could get on the next vic. Name, date of birth, home address -- but, most importantly, last known whereabouts.

Addison

Great.

Ian

Last seen leaving a hostel near Town Hall station. According to witnesses she had been talking about hitch-hiking to Newcastle, but later seemed to already have a ride arranged.

Addison

Do we know who it was with?

Ian

Nope. Trail runs cold right there.

Addison

Well, it's a good basis.

Magic

(to Ian)

Has Ziggy analysed the data from the other deaths?

Ian

Sure has.

Ian brings up some new windows on the computer, showing some data tables.

Ian

Looks like eight of the twelve victims have a greater than 75% chance of being from the same killer, and another three have a greater than 50% chance. This killer could easily make the top 5 serial killer body counts in Australian history.

Addison

(reading the dates in the data)

'95... '95... '96 -- all of these happened after Ben leaped in -- we can prevent them all if we catch this guy before he goes through with the first one.

Jenn

But to have enough evidence to get him off the streets, how far does Ben need to let him go before intervening?

Addison mulls this over, uncomfortable.

Int. Harvey Home: Child's Room - Night

Ben peeks a head into the room where the 5-year-old daughter of Darren, Aimee, sits upright in bed, hugging a large picture book.

The room has two beds, and is shared by Aimee and Jessica -- the decor reflects the two age groups of the occupants. On the wall hangs a mirror beside a poster of The Wiggles.

She smiles as she notices the movement, but upon seeing Ben's face, the smile turns to confusion.

Aimee

Who are you?

Ben

(off-guard)

Wh-what? I'm... your Daddy? Aren't I?

Aimee

Um... no you're not.

Ben glances into the mirror, noting that he still has Darren's reflection.

Ben

What do you mean I'm not?

Through the mirror, Aimee catches his eye.

Aimee

(pointing at mirror)

That's Daddy.

(pointing at Ben)

But you're someone else. And you talk like... Big Bird.

Ben glances around the room, frantic.

Ben

(whispering fiercely)

Addison, I need you right now...

Aimee's demeanour becomes fearful as she jumps to a conclusion.

Aimee

Is Daddy trapped in the mirror?!

Ben doesn't know what to make of any of this. He struggles to improvise a way to diffuse this situation.

Ben

No -- wait, yes.

(crouching by Aimee)

I'm doing my best to rescue him, but it's important that you pretend as if I'm Daddy in front of everyone, or I may not be able to get him out. Can I count on you?

Aimee looks at him, wide-eyed, before nodding.

Aimee

Okay...

Ben

(less on-edge)

Okay, we have a deal. Now, can I read you that story?

He gestures to the book, and Aimee reluctantly hands it to him. The book is:

"The Kookaburra That Helps at the Nest" -- Pauline Reilly.

Ben eyes the title.

Ben

(reading)

The... coo-cab-urra --

Aimee

Kookaburra.

(incredulous)

Don't you know what a kookaburra is??

Ben

(pointing at the cover)

I'm guessing it's one of these birds?

Aimee nods.

Aimee

They laugh like this.

Aimee sets about imitating a kookaburra's call.

It's loud, and when it's done, Dot pokes a head into the room.

Dot

Reading the kookaburra book, are we?

Aimee nods enthusiastically. Dot gives an amused look at Ben.

Dot

Don't get yourself worked up, pet. Beddy-byes.

(to Ben)

Tuck 'er in and put on the lamp, Daddy.

Ben switches on the lamp at Aimee's bedside, and Dot turns off the overhead light.

Dot

(to Aimee)

Nighty night, darl.

With that, Dot leaves. Aimee watches her go, looking confused.

Ben begins to pull the covers over Aimee and tuck her in.

Aimee

She really does think you're Daddy...

Ben

She sure does. It's our very important secret that I'm not.

Aimee smiles. She likes keeping a secret from the grown-ups.

Aimee

(to mirror)

Don't worry, Daddy. I won't tell.

End of Act Two

Act Three

Int. Sydney Bar - Night

It's a bustling Thursday evening at an inner-city bar.

Marcy has gone out with a group of scruffy fellow backpackers from around the globe, and they congregate at a table, engaged in spirited conversation.

Marcy clinks beverages with a woman of similar age, beside her. This is Josephine, another young American woman. She's a little less well-travelled than Marcy, a little more timid.

Marcy sips at her drink before speaking.

Marcy

(loudly over the background din)

Where did you say you were headed?

Josephine

(loud, tipsy)

North up to Newcastle.

Marcy

You said you were thumbing a ride?

Josephine

Yeah, but I'm a bit nervous about it.

Marcy

(thoughtful)

I think the guy that brought me to Sydney goes that way every day. Bit of a weirdo, but he went out of his way to bring me to the city centre. I think he's alright.

She pulls out the slip of paper Ben had given her earlier.

Marcy

Got his number right here.

Josephine accepts the number.

Josephine

(uncertain)

Thanks. I'll think about it.

Int. Harvey Home: Master Bedroom - Night

Ben has the wardrobe open and is rummaging around the shelves, in search of something.

Behind him, Addison materialises.

Addison

Whatcha looking for?

Ben looks back at her with relief.

Ben

Finally! I'm freaking out here, Addison. The youngest of Darren's kids can see me as me.

Addison processes this without surprise, but with some apprehension.

Addison

Damn. Small children and animals may be able to see you -- and me. But I thought Aimee was too old.

Ben

(agitated)

You mean you knew there was a possibility this would happen?

Addison

Yeah. At one time, you also knew that. What did you do?

Ben

Well, she thinks her Daddy's trapped in the mirror and I've convinced her to pretend I'm him for now.

(beat)

Anyway, right now I'm trying to find out if Darren's got a birthday present hidden away somewhere in here.

He returns to his rummaging, and Addison peers over his shoulder.

A moment later, he pulls out a small gift box.

Ben

Maybe this is it?

He pulls it open, only to find the only contents are a single photograph and a folded up piece of paper.

The photo is of Darren, holding up a fish. On the left of the photo are a few gum trees. In one of the trees sits a white bird. On the right of the photo is the ocean.

Ben glances at the photo in the box for a moment, before unfolding the paper, and somewhere off-screen, a telephone starts ringing.

Written on the paper is a list of strange numbers and letters:

225 A12
18 G11
208 B9
122 L6

Ben scans it for a fleeting moment, brow furrowed. Then he folds it up and puts it back in the box. In doing so, the photo flips over, revealing another letter and number combination: F4.

Ben

Well, that isn't it. I don't know what that is.

He puts the box back where he found it, then his eye is drawn to a bright red object at the top of the wardrobe obfuscated by some rolled up socks.

He reaches up, and sure enough, it's a present with a tag that clearly reads: "To Jess, Love Dad".

Ben sighs with relief.

Addison

Okay, great. One mystery solved.

Kyle (O.S.)

(shouting from another room)

Dad! Jonno's on the phone!

Ben sighs at this.

Ben

(calling back)

Okay! Be right there!

Int. Harvey Home: Kitchen - Night

Kyle is waiting, phone in hand, as Ben enters the room. The curled cord extends from a standard push-button Telecom Phone on the wall.

Ben accepts the handset, and he raises it to his ear as Addison enters, eyes on Ben. Kyle, meanwhile, wanders out of the room.

Ben

Hello...

Jonno (V.O.)

(in greeting)

Dazzaaaa! How's it going?

Ben

Hey, Jonno. What can I do for you?

Jonno (V.O.)

Look mate, even if we don't start our trip tomorrow night, I need to know if you're on board! Do you at least have the fishing gear?

Ben

(hesitant)

Uh...

Jonno (V.O.)

You don't, do you?

(disappointed)

Strewth. Dropping the ball a bit, ay?

(beat)

D'you want me to get it? I can have everything ready and rearing and meet you there Saturday.

Ben just wants to end this meaningless conversation.

Ben

(brusque)

Sure. Fine, I'll meet you there. Sounds good.

Jonno (V.O.)

(sounding relieved)

Sweet as! Cheers mate. Bye.

With that, there's a click and a dial tone. Ben hangs up the phone with a sigh.

Ben

(to Addison)

Who is Jonno?

Addison

(referring to handlink)

Full name's Jonathan Potts. Looks like he's been besties with Darren since they were both eight years old. Doesn't look like he's got much in the way of family.

Addison frowns as she reads.

Addison

He's a serial bachelor who seems to spend all his time with Darren's family -- if his Facebook photos are anything to go by.

Ben

Does he work?

Addison

Well, yes, but it's all under the table stuff. Got convicted of tax fraud in '99, along with Darren. Looks like 'Dazza' pays him in cash for working as an assistant in his delivery business.

Ben

I'm not just here to stop that, am I?

Ben knows it's only wishful thinking, but holds a glimmer of hope that Ziggy was wrong about his objective.

Addison

(chuckling)

'Fraid not, champ.

Ben

Well, it was worth a try.

Int. Semi-trailer - Day

The semi is parked outside of an abattoir, as Ben reads over a copy of his delivery manifest, and pencils some details into his records book. Seated in the passenger side is Addison.

Ben

Okay, I have a semi full of dead farm animals to transport to Maitland... and I have no idea where Maitland is.

Addison cranes her neck, and points to a thick NSW Street Directory (aka Street Atlas) on the floor of the truck.

Addison

Not exactly Google Maps, but that tome should get you there.

Ben sighs as he heaves it onto his lap and flips it open.

Addison

The victim leaves the hostel at 5:03PM, so make sure you're back to Sydney by four to be safe.

Ben

(checking watch)

Okay, so I need to be up and back in seven hours.

Addison

(looking at handlink)

Should be plenty of time. Round trip won't be longer than six at worst, unless you get in an accident.

(beat)

Don't crash, Ben.

Ben

(wryly)

I'll keep that in mind.

Addison

Anyway, see you later.

Ben

What? Where are you going?

Addison

Ben, I haven't slept in twenty hours. The time where I am doesn't really line up with this leap. I'll be back in four hours sharp, okay?

Ben

Alright. Don't let me stop you.

Addison

(cheeky)

Cheers, hun.

She gives him a ghostly peck on the cheek that he doesn't feel physically, but appreciates nonetheless, and dematerialises.

Ben returns to looking at his directory, flipping to a new page where he freezes as he sees the map number at the top of the page.

Map 208

Ben's photographic memory begins pulling its weight. We see --

A flash of the box containing the photo and scrap of paper.

We see the scrap of paper's writing with "208 B9" in focus.

Ben studies the GRID on the map, and traces the path to B9 -- a stretch of motorway.

Ben stares at this for a moment, puzzled, before closing the book and turning the ignition.

A new song begins to play, which will CONTINUE INTO THE NEXT THREE SCENES:

"Better Get A Lawyer" -- Cruel Sea

Ext. Loading Dock - Day

Ben has reached his delivery destination. He is at a large supermarket loading dock. He and a handful of Butchery staff unload animal carcasses and boxes of off-cuts.

For a moment, Ben peers into the back of the refrigerated truck, deep in thought.

He sees the walls and floor lined with plastic sheeting, covered in leaked red meat fluids that glisten. Ben looks at the scene with wide eyes.

Int. Semi-trailer - Day

Ben drives along the motorway, glancing down at the Street Directory on the passenger seat, which is open to Map 208.

He looks, alarmed, at an approaching billboard -- the same one he saw right after he leaped in, advertising "Muriel's Wedding".

He turns the wheel, pulling over.

Ext. Motorway Roadside - Continuous

Ben retraces his steps from his ostensible bathroom break when he leaped in.

He touches the gum tree he was holding, and steps past the tree line. He doesn't know what he's looking for, but he has a weird feeling about this place.

Then he finds it: hidden in a bush, a black garbage bag, wrapped up. Dread fills Ben as he reaches down, and grabs it, looking inside.

Ben pulls out a roll of duct tape, then a coil of rope, then a handgun.

Ben

(distraught)

Oh my god -- it's me. I'm the killer.

The music finally cuts out, as Ben stands silently, staring back towards the semi-trailer, trying to decide what to do next.

Fade Out

End of Act Three

Act Four

Int. Semi-trailer - Day

Ben is anxiously driving southbound through some north-western Sydney streets. The radio is off, and he's sweating profusely.

Beside him, Addison appears.

Addison

(cheerful)

I'm back! Glad to see you didn't crash.

She sees Ben's tense state, and turns serious.

Addison

Ben, what is it?

Ben glances at her for a moment, before returning his gaze to the road.

Ben

It's me, Addison.

(gesturing to mirror)

I mean, Darren. He's the killer.

Addison

What?! How do you know?

Ben

Oh, I don't know -- could be the cache of serial killer supplies I found based on map coordinates in that box in his closet. Duct tape, rope, gun.

He nods to the floor of the passenger side, where the garbage bag is now sitting. A strand of rope extends out of the opening.

Addison

Oh my god.

Ben

Exactly what I said. I think this guy was right about to retrieve them when I leaped in here.

(beat)

So, I'm going home. I'm gonna cook a nice birthday dinner for Jessica, say goodbye, and then I'm gonna go turn myself in.

Addison

But the victim--

Ben

--Needs to be as far away from me as she can get. No me, no murder.

Addison

(fiddling with handlink)

I don't understand. If you don't leap out, you pose no danger to her, right?

Ben

Same thing if I'm nowhere near her.

Addison is silent as she looks up information.

Addison

If you turn yourself in now, I don't think there'll be enough evidence to put Darren away for long enough to save some of his victims.

Ben

Well, what do you want me to do? Actually kidnap this poor woman?

Addison

Well, I mean... that might...

Ben

(incredulous)

Addison! That was a rhetorical question -- I couldn't do that!

Addison

(defeated)

I know. But I just don't think this plan is a good one.

Ben

Well, if you've got anything better, go right ahead and tell me.

Addison looks at Ben for a moment. She feels for him, but she is sure there must be a better way to solve this problem.

Addison

I'll go and see if I can figure something out.

Ben barely acknowledges Addison as she dematerialises from the truck. His mind is scattered, and he's stressed from driving.

Ext. Harvey Home: Backyard - Dusk

The backyard is mostly an open lawn, with a Hills Hoist clothesline in the middle, a few stray garments dangling off it by plastic pegs. A gas barbecue sits under an awning near the back door, with smoke rising.

Several thin beef sausages sizzle on the grill of the barbecue, and a pair of tongs turns them. On the other side of the barbecue, on a hotplate, cooks some haphazardly chopped shreds of brown onion.

On an unheated surface of the barbecue, a bowl of green prawns sits, as yet untouched.

We see that Ben is tending to the barbecue. He holds a VB stubby set into a coldy-holder with a "#1 Dad" design, from which he is conspicuously not drinking. He is struggling to put on a relaxed expression.

On a flimsy plastic table with a vinyl tablecloth that's half blowing off in the breeze, we find a bowl of ruffled chips beside a plate of fairy bread, which has several flies buzzing around it. Also on the table is a cheap portable cassette player, playing a tinny tween-appropriate song:

"Sooner or Later" -- GF4

Jessica and Aimee, clad in matching primary school uniforms are playing schoolyard handball with a tennis ball, on a concrete area of the backyard, while Kyle sits on a plastic lawn chair, smoking a cigarette.

Dot emerges from the back door, carrying a bowl of unremarkable salad (iceberg lettuce, sliced tomato, grated carrot) in one hand and a supermarket loaf of sliced white bread in the other.

She deposits both on the table, and shoos away the flies, before approaching Ben.

Dot

Almost there, luv?

She gives him a peck on the cheek.

Ben

Five minutes, maybe?

Dot

Good-o.

Ben watches her join Kyle, who passes her a cigarette as she takes a seat.

As he turns back around, he finds Addison standing beside the barbecue.

Ben

Oh, hey. Got anything?

Addison

They're gonna centre me on the victim in a minute so I can keep an eye. Ziggy still insists she disappears...

Addison glances around.

Addison

Jonno's not around today?

Ben

Nope. Told me he'd meet me -- I don't know, somewhere -- tomorrow, for that fishing trip. Doesn't matter now; I don't plan to be free by then.

Ben picks up a prawn with his tongs. Addison eyes it for a moment, before deciding she doesn't care about her bet.

Aimee

(suddenly next to Ben)

I know where Jonno is.

Ben

(startled)

You do?

Aimee

He answered the phone when Mum was in the dunny and he said he was going to pick someone up.

Ben

(wary)

The phone? The one in the kitchen?

Aimee nods.

Ben

When was this?

Aimee

I dunno... before you got home.

(pointing at Addison)

Who's she?

Ben and Addison exchange an alarmed look.

Ben drops the tongs, prawn and all, onto the hotplate.

Flash-cut to:

Int. Project Quantum Leap: Main Floor - Night

Ian watches the prawn hit the barbecue on their monitor.

Ian

Ah, sh...rimp.

They slap a twenty dollar bill onto the desk.

Flash-cut to:

Ext. Harvey Home: Backyard - Dusk

Continues direct from before the inter-cut scene:

Addison

Darren and Jonno must be accomplices. So if he takes her, where is he taking her?

Ben

(horrified)

That stupid fishing weekend. Oh god, why didn't I ask where they were meeting?!

Addison

I'm gonna centre on Jonno.

Ben nods, and turns to Dot and Kyle, frantic. Behind him, Addison disappears as Aimee watches with shock.

Ben

(to Kyle)

Kyle, finish that off for me.

Ben dashes into the house, leaving Darren's family baffled. Aimee follows him in excitedly.

Ext. Sydney Town Hall Roadside - Dusk

Josephine stands nervously, waiting at the kerb.

A beaten-up ute (aka pickup truck) pulls up to the side of the road. The passenger side window is rolled down.

Sitting cross-legged in the back tray of the ute is Addison, looking at Josephine with alarm.

Inside the ute, Jonno leans over to the passenger side, grinning up at the American traveller.

Jonno

Gidday! You Josephine? Newcastle express at your service!

Josephine

(apprehensive)

I thought you were meant to have a truck or something?

Jonno

Only when I'm on the job. Hop in! Too easy!

Addison

Don't do it...

Josephine

O--okay.

As Josephine climbs into the ute, Addison gives a frustrated, desperate groan.

Addison

It's true, then. Dazza and Jonno the serial killer duo...

Int. Harvey Home: Master Bedroom - Dusk

With the clock now ticking, Ben wastes no time thrusting open the wardrobe doors, and rummaging for the box that was hidden in there.

He finds it, and flips it open, letting the lid fall where it may.

He takes the contents, and hurries out.

Ext. Harvey Home: Driveway - Dusk

The truck is parked in the driveway, and Ben pulls the door open, grabbing the Street Directory and flipping it open. The door remains open.

He unfolds the slip of paper, and throws the photo onto the dashboard.

Unbeknownst to him, a child's hand grabs at the photo -- Aimee has somehow slipped into the truck under his feet while he was absorbed in the directory.

Ben busily looks up the coordinates on the paper. Each shows a seemingly random location on the road.

Ben is getting frustrated.

Addison returns, appearing beside him, face grave.

Addison

It was him alright. He's got her.

Int. Jonno's Ute - Dusk

Jonno is driving along with a wide grin on his face. Josephine sits in the passenger seat, looking at the signs passing by.

Josephine

(suspicious)

Wait, are we going south? I wanted to go to Newcastle.

Jonno

Nah, you don't want to go there. Bugger all to see in Newcastle. Heaps better where I'm taking you.

Josephine

Pull over, please. I want to get out...

Jonno produces a gun, showing it to her. Josephine goes white, and clams up. She's not a fighter.

Jonno reaches to the radio, turning it on. It starts playing:

"Helping Hand" -- Screaming Jets

Jonno

Love this song.

Jonno's finger taps on the steering wheel in time with the music, as Josephine watches him with terrified eyes.

Int/Ext. Harvey Home: Driveway/Semi-trailer - Dusk

Ben and Addison pore over the directory, frustrated.

Ben

I think these might all be places they've stashed supplies. But where are they doing the--

Ben is cut off by the sound of Aimee's kookaburra call, coming from inside the truck.

Ben and Addison exchange a startled look, and Ben climbs into the driver's seat. Aimee sits in the passenger seat, grinning.

Alarmed, Ben frantically grabs at the garbage bag at her feet that contains the gun, and stuffs it into the glove box.

Ben

You shouldn't be in here, Aimee...

Aimee

(holding up the photo)

It's a kookaburra!

Ben takes the photo and looks closely at it, seeing the white bird in the tree.

Ben

Huh, it does look a little like a kookaburra. But it's all white. Is that unusual?

He flips over the photo, seeing the "F4" scrawled on the back.

Ben

(to Addison)

Do you think this might be a clue? It's a coordinate, but there's no map number...

Addison

I don't know. Where was the photo taken?

Ben

Wherever it was, there was a white kookaburra.

He shows Addison the picture, and she runs her handlink over it, taking a scan.

Addison

Okay, I'll run this through Ziggy right now.

She moves in close to Ben, trying to calm him.

Addison

Wherever he's taking her, I think he's going to wait for you before he...

Ben

But what's he gonna do to her while he's waiting for me?

Addison

...I'll go as fast as I can, okay? Promise.

With that, Addison vanishes.

No sooner than she does, there is a knock on the window of the truck.

Ben rolls it down with the hand crank, finding Jessica looking up at him, a half-eaten, tomato sauce smothered sausage sandwich in her hand.

Jessica

Where are you going?

Ben looks down at her, his heart breaking, and he climbs out of the truck, crouching to her level.

Ben

Jess... your Daddy's done something... bad. And he might have to go away for a while.

Aimee

(peering out window)

What did Daddy do?

Ben

(to Aimee)

Uh, don't worry about that.

(to Jessica)

I need you to be... strong, for your sister, okay?

Jessica

(not really understanding)

Okay Daddy...

Ben moves to the other side of the truck, opening the passenger door.

Ben

(to Aimee)

Sorry kiddo... you need to go back inside. Where I'm going is dangerous, okay?

Aimee gives him a puppy-dog look, but climbs out of the truck. Ben shuts the door as Jessica joins Aimee on this side of the truck. He leans over the two of them.

Ben

Be good, okay?

(to Jessica)

And your present is waiting for you on your bed.

It's begun to sink in for Jessica that her Daddy is quite serious with what he's saying. She nods silently.

Ben hugs the two of them for a short moment, before letting go and giving them both a nudge towards the house.

Ben

Okay... go on back inside...

He watches them head in the house, before hopping into the driver's seat of the truck and starting it up.

The car radio starts blasting the latter half of "Helping Hand" as Ben pulls out of the driveway.

Int. Project Quantum Leap: Main Floor - Night

Addison sprints to Ian.

Ian

Fine, you win.

Addison

What?

(beat)

Look, I need you to run the photo I scanned, see if we can get a location. It's urgent.

Addison holds up her handlink, and makes a swiping gesture over it which transmits the scan directly onto the computer screen.

Ian

(bursting into action)

Okay Ziggy, show me what you've got.

Ian types at the computer, and the computer begins analysing the image.

Ian

I don't know if we'll get a hit; there's really not much to go on geographically in this picture. Can't see any significant landmarks...

Addison

This may be a long shot, but Ben thinks that bird is a white kookaburra. Does that help?

Ian looks at her quizzically, but types in the additional data.

After a moment, they look impressed.

Ian

Wow, that actually made a huge difference.

A map of the Shellharbour area is seen on the screen, with shaded areas around Killalea State Park, Bass Point, and Blackbutt Forest.

Ian

There's a small community of all-white kookaburras seen only around this region south of Sydney. Ziggy still can't pinpoint a specific location, though -- not enough data.

Addison

(thinking)

But the coordinates on the back might...

(beat)

Thanks, Ian!

Addison turns to head back to the Imaging Chamber. She pauses for a split second to snatch the $20 from the desk, before continuing onward.

Int. Semi-trailer - Dusk

Picking up right where we left off with "Helping Hand", Addison appears in the passenger seat as Ben drives away from the house.

Addison

Ben -- head south. You'll need to go to Shellharbour; it's maybe an hour's drive from here.

(beat)

What were the coordinates on the back of that photo?

Ben

F4.

Addison gestures over her handlink.

Addison

Keep driving. I'll see if Ziggy can find a digitised copy of that street atlas and get the right location.

Ben

I hope I get there before anything bad happens.

Addison

Me too, Ben.

The music continues as we --

Cut to:

Ext. Killalea Reserve - Night

Jonno's ute drives towards an expansive, deserted beach lit by a full moon, passing a tree where a white kookaburra sleeps.

The music comes to its end as Jonno's ute approaches Darren's semi-trailer, which is already parked.

Ben leans against the truck, his expression unreadable.

Jonno pulls up beside him, rolling his window down. He leans out as we see Josephine inside the car, already with duct tape over her mouth. She is a wreck.

Jonno

(in high spirits)

Dazzaaa! Didn't even expect you 'til tomorrow!

Ben

(attempting to act the part)

G'day! Nah, yeah, I ditched the Missus, told her I was flat out working.

(gesturing to Josephine)

Picked up the fishing gear, I see.

Jonno, looking manic, opens the car door, with his gun pointed at Josephine. He gestures with it for her to get out, and she does so, looking with pleading eyes at Ben.

Ben's facade falters for a moment as he locks eyes with her, but he corrects himself, turning towards the truck and opening the back trailer doors, revealing the creepy insides, featuring plastic sheeting and meat hooks. He grabs the rope from just inside.

Josephine starts to scream -- due to the duct tape over her mouth, it's muffled, but nobody is around to hear it anyway.

Jonno pushes her towards Ben, and she reluctantly does.

Ben

Hands out.

He moves close to her, tying her hands. When he thinks Jonno isn't looking, he leans and whispers into her ear:

Ben

I'm sorry.

He steps back, gesturing to the truck.

Ben

Get in.

Josephine gives him a lingering look, before climbing into the truck.

Jonno approaches Ben, his eyes betraying his excitement at this moment.

Jonno

So, who's batting first innings?

Ben

Well you had her all the way here...

Jonno

Ahhh, fair enough!

Jonno gives Ben a playful punch in the shoulder.

Jonno

Leave her in good nick, hey.

Ben gives him a wink, as he climbs into the trailer, closing the doors behind him.

Int. Semi-trailer: Trailer - Night

Josephine backs against the wall as Ben approaches, tears streaming down her face.

As Ben reaches her, he holds a finger to his lips as he rips the duct tape from her mouth.

Ben

I'm not going to hurt you.

Addison has appeared behind Ben, and she watches, clearly affected by it all.

Josephine

(whimpering)

Why are you doing this...

Ben

I can't get into that... because I don't really know either.

(to Addison)

How long?

Addison

(looking at handlink)

Four minutes.

Josephine

What?

Ben

Just hold on a few more minutes for me. Help is coming. But listen...

Ben places a gentle hand on Josephine's quivering shoulder. She flinches at the touch.

Ben

When you testify against us, please don't tell them I helped you. I'm a danger to society.

The sound of a creaking metal door echoes off the walls.

Jonno (O.S.)

I bloody knew you were gonna bugger this up.

Ben turns, seeing Jonno climbing into the truck, his gun drawn.

Ben

(holding up hands)

Hey now...

Jonno

Now I'm gonna have to pop the both of yous.

(genuine hurt)

Dazza, I thought we were best mates.

Addison

(edgy)

Ben, try to keep him talking -- and don't make him angry.

Ben

We are, Jonno. Of course we're mates. Ever since we were... littlies. But we don't have to hurt anyone to prove it...

Jonno

Cathy hurt both of us!

Addison

Cathy?

Addison frantically fiddles with her handlink.

Ben

Look, forget Cathy...

This seems to enrage Jonno, and he moves to Ben, getting right up in his face.

Jonno

You swore to me ya'd never forget what that seppo bitch did.

Addison

The only Cathy I can find that might be relevant here is a Catherine MacDonald, American exchange student at their high school. Hold on, let me bring up more...

Ben

You're right, I won't forget. But just because one American girl hurt us... what are we doing taking it out on someone who had nothing to do with it?

Jonno

They're all the bloody same, Daz. Roots you one day, your best mate the next, then steals your rebound girl just to rub it in.

Addison

Oh my god, Ben -- Cathy turned up dead in 1980. You don't think...

Ben

(alarmed)

W-well, what will killing a complete stranger accomplish now? Cathy already--

(forcing out the words)

--got her... punishment.

Jonno

Pest control, mate. Gotta keep the rats out of this beautiful country.

Jonno aims the gun at Josephine.

Ben lunges, and is able to change the trajectory of the bullet away from Josephine as the gun fires. It ricochets off the back wall of the trailer, and embeds in the floor.

Ben grapples with Jonno for the gun for a moment, before blue and red lights start flashing into the trailer. At the end of the trailer, several police cars have finally arrived.

Policeman (O.S.)

(via loudspeaker)

Drop the weapon and put your hands up.

The distraction has given Ben the opportunity to swipe the gun from Jonno's hands, and he places it gingerly on the floor, before kicking it away from the two of them.

Jonno

(putting his hands up)

Coppers? Bloody oath, Daz.

Ben

(shrugging)

Crikey.

Int. Police Car - Night

A hand-cuffed Ben sits in the back of the police car, smiling to himself. Next to him sits Addison, looking relieved and tired.

Addison

(looking at handlink)

Well Ben, looks like Dazza and Jonno are both put away -- thank god. Jonno is given fourteen years for kidnapping, and Darren is given ten for being an accomplice.

Ben

That's it?

Addison

Not finished. Jonno's given another twenty-five years for attempted murder.

And both him and Darren are given life sentences for the murder of Catherine MacDonald.

Ben

(relieved)

Okay, so we really did prevent a bunch of deaths.

Addison

Looks like eleven all up.

Ben

But not Cathy.

Addison

Not Cathy, no.

Ben

(grinning)

But you won your bet, right? I threw a shrimp on the barbie.

Addison

How did you know--

Ben

Well, I do now.

Addison smirks, as a chuckling Ben--

--leaps away.

Fade Out

End of Act Four